Come celebrate the Feast Day of our founder, Saint Junipero Serra on July I, 2016 with another walking pilgrimage from San Carlos Cathedral to the Carmel Mission Basilica. We will once again gather on the steps in front of the Cathedral on Friday July 1 at 8:00 am and depart promptly at 8:30AM, stopping along the way for some time to reflect. We plan to arrive at the Carmel Mission around 11:30AM and then celebrate with a Mass in the Basilica in honor of St. Serra at Noon.
You must be able to complete a 3 hour hike over various terrains, so wear comfortable shoes and clothing. You must also sign up for this pilgrimage by calling Claudia Larraza at 373-2628, ext. 33 or by emailing her by Tuesday June 28. Please provide your name, cell phone number, emergency contact name with their best possible daytime contact number.
- Must be able to walk 3 hours and approximately 5 miles of up and down terrain, both paved and unpaved, with no bathroom facilities along the way.
- You will need to have planned transportation back to San Carlos Cathedral from the Carmel Mission.
- Children under 14 need to be accompanied by a parent.
- All participants will need to sign up for this pilgrimage with their name, cell phone number, and an emergency contact name and phone number.
- Please bring a light backpack, bottled water, light snack, sunscreen, and a hat. Wear brightly colored clothes and good, comfy shoes for walking.
The Pilgrimage: We will gather in front of San Carlos Cathedral at 8:00AM for instructions and a prayer before we depart promptly at 8:30AM.
The route: From the Cathedral we will go up Iris Canyon Rd. to Barnet Segal Lane to Viejo Rd. picking up the bike path to Aguajito Rd. to a hiking trail to an open field to Carpenter Street crossing Hwy 1 at Carpenter, to Lower Trail to Valley View to Lobos to 3rd to Hatton Road catching the Serra Trail at the Flanders Mansion to Rio Road. Please be aware that Poison Oak is present in a small section along the Pilgrimage.
We will stop along the route to pray and reflect. There will be 2 water stations along the route.
A Journey’s End: Arriving at the Carmel Mission we will gather in the courtyard in front of the Basilica for a little break and a light refreshment. Then at 12:00PM we will celebrate a Mass of Thanksgiving in the Basilica. At the conclusion of Mass we will find our own pre-planned transportation back to San Carlos Cathedral and bid each other adios.
If you are physically unable to walk the Pilgrimage, please consider welcoming the Pilgrims as they arrive at Carmel Mission at 11:30 and join us for Mass at 12:00PM.